Create a Point-Based Rating System (such as APPA)
Some industries rely on point-based rating systems—especially the educational industry, where APPA’s 1–5 rating is standard. You can learn more about when to use percentage-based and points-based systems here.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to create an APPA or other point-based scales.
To create a point-based rating system:
- Access your ratings: Click the “Setup” tab and then click on “Ratings” in the left-hand sidebar.
- Click “New Rating” in the upper right-hand corner. Then, choose “Points (Advanced)” from the drop-down menu. (Alternatively, you can click on an existing rating system to edit it.)
This will bring up a blank form to create a new rating.
- Name your rating system.
- Assign labels and points. Each choice has a label (for example, “Meets Standard”) and a corresponding number of points. You can add as many choices as you’d like. To delete a choice, click the red icon to the left of the row.
When an inspector performs an inspection in the field, the overall inspection score will be an average of all the points chosen (unless you’ve chosen to weight certain items as more or less important.)
- Select deficient scores. Each choice also has a checkbox that allows you to mark a certain score as “deficient,” which means the line item wasn’t done to an acceptable quality standard. Tracking deficiencies makes it easy to see when problems arise.
Tip: You can set your email preferences to have OrangeQC send notifications to certain users if an inspector rates something as deficient. This is an easy way to escalate issues and make sure they’re resolved quickly. You can also see which inspections have deficient line items under "Reports."
- Set the default score. In the “Default” column, pick which choice you’d like the inspection form to list as default when the inspector brings up a new inspection in the field. You can only pick one option.
- Save your form. That’s it! You will now be able to choose this rating system when you create a new inspection form.
Inspection forms can either use a percentage-based rating system or a points-based rating system, but not both. When you go to create a new inspection, you’ll now see the option to create a points-based inspection form: